Over the weekend Tracee was back to bulk cooking and produced this amazing Mexican Bean Soup. It tastes fantastic and is definitely something that warms the cockles in this colder weather. It is certainly a meal that you look forward too especially after a hard evening swim session. Packed full of nutritional goodness it not only hits the spot taste wise but leavings you feeling satiated without feeling overly full. Super easy to make and doesn’t break the bank.
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 400g tins chopped tomato
- 400g can black beans – rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans – rinsed (you can use other beans if you wish)
- 1 cup frozen sweetcorn
- 4 cups veg stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- Lime juice to taste
- small bunch fresh coriander – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup short grain brown rice – rinse well before cooking
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little of the veg stock until onions are softened. Add tomato and spices. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans, sweetcorn, rice and remaining veg stock. Simmer gently for 25 min or until rice is cooked.
- Season to taste with lime juice and salt/pepper and then serve.
We topped ours with some cashew sour cream, spring onion and corriander. Easy peasy recipe that is great for bulk cooking and can be frozen in portion size batches.