I am lucky enought to have a job that gives me an 80+km round trip bike commute every day. I am also lucky enough to work in an environment it which I can continue to workout during the day (swimming and running at my leisure). So, when I need a quick energy fix during my training sessions my go to fix is one of these beauties that Tracee makes. The dates give me the quick energy hit that I need, whilst the oats and nuts give me more slow releasing energy. Also there is a good anti-oxidant hit from the goji berries and raw cacao powder. These are lovely, gooey and moist and certainly hit the spot. We use the same recipe for both the balls and bars, just added coconut to the balls.
- 300g pitted dates
- 50g goji berries
- 60g cashew (or almond) nuts
- 60g walnuts
- 100g gluten free oats
- 50g cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tsp filtered water
- Put the dates and goji berries in the food processor and chop until little pieces. If you don’t have a powerful food processor, soak the dates in warm water for 1 hour to soften.
- Add the nuts; chop again.
- Add cacao powder and oats and blitz until as fine a texture as you can get.
- Add vanilla extract and water. Finally, blend until ingredients come together.
- In a baking tray covered with parchment paper, roll mixture to a thin layer. Place in freezer to firm up. Chop into bar sizes. Wrap in foil covered parchment paper and store in fridge or if you prefer, roll into balls and cover with coconut, yum!!!.
- Grab on your way out to training.