So, we love spending Sunday mornings prepping our foods for the following week. While I love cooking from scratch for every evening meal, sometimes there just isn’t the time, so I love to have some meals already made that I can pop in to the freezer for those ’emergency’ moments. Today we made a delicious vegetable and black bean chilli. Full of gorgeous veggie nutrition and a healthy filling protein hit from the beans. We also made a delicious lentil, tomato and chicken dahl which we will share another day. Between the 2 dishes we have created 14 portions of food. As I’m like most women, I’m constantly trying to drop a few pounds, especially from the shop budget hehe!!! I need to make sure that I always have something low calorie, high nutritional food available to stop me from grabbing something I’ll regret later on. Great value, cheap nutritious food that our whole family enjoys.
Veggie Chilli Recipe:
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium aubergines
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 yellow peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 or 2 red chillis
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomato
- 1 x can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cacao powder (optional)
- Juice 1 lemon
- Handful fresh coriander – finely chopped
- Dice the aubergine, drizzle with olive oil, cover and roast in the oven for 25 min.
- In a large pan, saute the onions until soft, add pepper, courgette, garlic and chilli. Cook for a further 5 min.
- Add all the spices coating all vegetables.
- Add tomatoes,roasted aubergine and coriander.
- Leave to simmer until all vegetables are nice and soft.
- Add black beans and cacao powder and warm through. Add lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste.
- Serve on a baked potato or with rice.